COVID-19 Agency Response
Carryout, Delivery & Outdoor Seating During COVID-19
New Filing Deadlines

Obtain MVA Tax Certifications

The MVA has implemented a process for immigrants, applying for a driver's license or ID card, that requires them to obtain a certification of tax filings for the preceding two years from the Comptroller's Office. The MVA requires MVA applicants to obtain online certification of tax filings. For those applicants who are not able to obtain on-line certification, the Comptroller's Office offers an online scheduling process allowing MVA applicants to schedule an appointment to visit one of our twelve branch offices to obtain the required certification of tax filings.

For more information on MVA's process, please visit MVA's website. For more information about getting your Tax Certification, visit Obtain MVA Tax Certifications.

Under the Maryland Highway Safety Act of 2013, individuals who were previously unable to obtain a drivers' license, ID card or moped operators' permit can now obtain these documents in Maryland.

The issuance of the license, permit or identification card is not an acceptable form of identification for federal agencies for certain official purposes.

In order to apply for a license/permit, you must follow the steps below:

  1. have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security number;
  2. apply for and obtain identity documents such as a valid, current foreign passport or other photo ID card;
  3. obtain two residency documents such as copies of a residential lease, utility bill, or bank statement;
  4. be able to prove you filed a Maryland tax return or been claimed as a dependent on a Maryland income tax return for the two most recent consecutive tax years, and;
  5. obtain a FREE certification letter from the Comptroller's office

Self Certification

Taxpayers can self-certify online if they have filed two years of Maryland tax returns as a primary/secondary taxpayer and used an ITIN. All others must make an appointment with the Comptroller's office. See "Making Appointments" below.

Once you have self-certified, you can print your certification letter and make an appointment with the MVA. See "Making Appointments" below.

Making Appointments

First: You must make an initial appointment with the Comptroller's office which can be made online, or by calling the taxpayer services hotline, 1-800-MD TAXES or 410-260-7980. See "Obtain your Comptroller's Tax Certification" below.

Second: An appointment must also be made with the MVA only AFTER obtaining a certification letter from the Comptroller's office. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Visit the MVA website for more details.

Obtaining an ITIN

The IRS can assist you in getting your ITIN number for FREE. You can apply online for an ITIN at the IRS website and if you need assistance with the IRS process please visit their ITIN information page. The ITIN process for an application takes about 4 - 8 weeks.

If you choose to use an organization/company/individual to obtain an ITIN, you may be charged a fee.

Certification Letter Information

The certification letter is FREE to qualified individuals through appointments only, which can be made online, or by calling the taxpayer services hotline, 1-800-MD TAXES or 410-260-7980. You must bring a photo ID and your ITIN letter from the IRS or Social Security card and a completed Maryland Form 130 (Request for Certification of Tax Filings) with you to your appointment.

The letter expires 12 months after the issue date and you must wait 24 hours after getting the certification letter before you make an appointment with the MVA.

If you are a dependent, you must also make an appointment. If we can confirm that you were claimed on any Maryland income tax return for the two most recent and consecutive tax years, you will receive a certification letter.

Online Services

Related Links