eFiling Maryland Taxes FAQs

eFiling Maryland Taxes Answers

  1. How can I file my Maryland return electronically?

    There are three methods you can choose from to file your Maryland taxes electronically:

    • Use a commercial tax preparer.
    • File online using approved commercial software.
    • File online using our free iFile service.

  2. If I want to file online, can I use any computer?

    To file online, you will need a computer with Internet access - whether it's your home computer, a computer at your local library, or another computer.

    You must have an e-mail address to file online. If you don't have one, check out one of the free e-mail services. You can use any search engine on the Internet by entering the search criteria of "free e-mail," and receive a list of free e-mail providers.

  3. What are the benefits of electronic filing?

    Electronic filing is a fast, convenient and secure way to do your taxes - and in some cases, it's free. Electronic returns are processed quickly, even if you wait until the due date to file.

    If you file electronically and choose direct deposit of your refund, we will transfer the funds to your bank account within several days from the date your return is accepted and processed. If you have a balance due, you can pay by direct debit. If you file electronically by April 15, you have until April 30 to make the electronic payment.

    In addition, you don't have to worry about mistakes when you file electronically because errors are corrected immediately.

    For more information, see Electronic Filing Benefits.

    For more information, see Paying Maryland Taxes with a Credit Card.

  4. How secure is tax data sent electronically?

    If you use a tax professional: Tax return data submitted by professional tax preparers is transmitted through either the IRS or through the state's private secure network in accordance with rules and procedures implemented to insure tax information confidentiality.

    If you file online: Check with your online provider if you have questions about the security of the sites. Most Internet sites are equipped to prevent unauthorized people from seeing the data sent to or from those sites. Once your tax information has been transmitted to a Web site, the data is sent to the Comptroller's Office through the state's electronic filing network. This network does not use the Internet; it is a private network designed to meet the highest security standards.

  5. Can I file electronically if I need to pay?

    Yes. Aside from convenience, one advantage of filing electronically when you owe taxes is that you learn exactly how much you owe.

    You have several payment options when you file your return electronically. You can pay your balance by using direct debit or you can pay by credit card using American Express, Discover, MasterCard or VISA. If you file electronically by April 15, you have until April 30 to make your electronic payment.

    If you wish to pay by check or money order, the payment is due by April 15. You must also submit Form IND PV with your check or money order payment, if you electronically file a Form 502 or 505.

  6. Am I eligible to use iFile?

    You can use our free iFile service if you are filing Form 502 and most other Maryland tax forms.

    You will need the following information and computer system setup to use iFile:

    System Requirements

    • You need Google Chrome Browser with the display font set to default.
    • If you are using a browser other than Google Chrome Browser and experience difficulty, try upgrading your browser to the latest version.
    • Leave your browser setting for language set to default so JavaScript and cookies are enabled.
    • You will need a printer if you wish to print your return.
    • You will need a copy of Adobe Acrobat 4.0 or better installed to view tax documentation in PDF format.

    First-time Filer Requirements

    If you (or your spouse) have not filed a Maryland return in the previous year, a link to print Form EL101 (first-time filer declaration will automatically be displayed under Required Forms, located on the confirmation page. If you are filing from a personal computer an EL101 form will appear in the forms available section on your confirmation page. Print and sign the form. Retain the form for your records UNLESS you are requested in writing by the Revenue Administration Division (RAD) to mail in a signed copy.

    Taxpayer Support

    You can contact us at:
    410-260-7980 or
    800-638-2937 or
    e-mail at taxhelp@marylandtaxes.gov


    We cannot be responsible for inaccurate printing due to variations in hardware or system settings. You should check your printed copies for completeness before you leave the tax confirmation page.

    Additional copies

    Follow the instructions below to obtain a copy of your completed return:

    • Select which tax year and form type you wish to print from the iFile Choose Form page.
    • Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password in the fields indicated.
    • Click Logon. This will direct you to a list of returns.
    • Select Print under Options to print all or any part of your return. This will refer you back to the Confirmation Page.
    • Under Completed Forms, you can select which form(s) you wish to print. PDF and Text versions are available.
    • If you are unable to recall your password, see Taxpayer Support.

    Amended Returns

    If you need to make an adjustment to a return that has already been submitted and processed, you must file an AMENDED return.

    There are two ways to amend your return:

    1. If you submitted your original Maryland Tax Return using iFile, you may amend your previously submitted information also using iFile. Enter your Social Security Number, Last Name and Password, then select the AMEND option from the list of options.
    2. If your original Maryland Tax Return was submitted in any other manner other than iFile, or is for another tax year, please allow approximately six weeks for the original return to be processed. Then use Form 502X to file an amended return. The amended return must be mailed to:
      Comptroller of Maryland
      Revenue Administration Division
      110 Carroll Street
      Annapolis, MD 21411

    If you requested an electronic funds withdrawal on your original electronic return, we recommend you file your Amended return after the date of withdrawal on your original filing.

    You are NOT eligible to use iFile if

    • You are filing a Form 500CR.
    • You are filing a Form 1042S.
    • You are filing Form 515 for nonresident local tax.
    • You are filing to amend a return that was previously filed on paper or another electronic source other than iFile.
    • You are filing to amend a nonresident Form 505.
    • You are claiming a dependent that does not have a SSN (Social Security Number) or an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
    • You are filing more than the number of forms allowed to iFile. iFile is limited to: 50 W-2s, 30 W-2Gs, 10 502CRs, 10 1099Gs and 20 1099Rs.
    • You filing status is Married Filing Separately or Head of Household and you are claiming your spouse as a dependent taxpayer based on special conditions on your Federal return.
    • You are filing a joint Maryland return and spouses reside in different local taxing areas or different states on the last day of the tax year.*
    • You are filing a joint Maryland return and spouses have different tax periods.
    • You are in the military, are a legal resident of another state, have military income and income from both Maryland and non-Maryland sources, and are filing a joint return with your civilian spouse who resided in Maryland for more than six months during the tax year and who had any income during the tax year.*
    • * If these situations apply to you then you may have other options available that would make it possible for you to use iFile. Please see our Forms assistance link.

  7. Do I have to mail anything to the Comptroller's Office if I file my Maryland return electronically?

    Electronic filing is essentially a paperless function. But there are certain tax credits that require you to submit supporting documentation with your signature document Form EL101. In addition, if you plan to file a Form 502 or Form 505 electronically and pay any balance due with a check or money order, you must complete Form PV (Personal Tax Payment Voucher For Form 502/505, Estimated Tax and Extensions) and send it to us, along with your payment. You do not need to use Form PV if you are making a direct debit or credit card payment. For more information, see Necessary Paper Forms for Online Filers

  8. The online software I have chosen is asking for a subdivision code. What is a subdivision code and where can I find it?

    A subdivision code is what is used to direct the distribution of local taxes collected back to the county where you live. The software you are using may have a drop down menu for you to choose your county of residence or city, town or taxing area. If no pull-down menu is available, you can find your county abbreviation or subdivision code in the Maryland Tax Instruction Booklets.

  9. How fast can I get my refund?

    If you select direct deposit, we will transfer the funds to your bank account within several days from the date your return is accepted and processed.

  10. What if I wait until the tax deadline to file electronically?

    Electronic returns are processed overnight - even at the tax deadline. So you still avoid the delays caused by the last-minute paper crunch on April 15.

  11. Do Can I file electronically from my personal computer?

    Yes. You can file Form 502 for free online using iFile or you can file electronically from your personal computer, using an online approved efile software vendor.

  12. Can I go to a professional tax preparer?

    Yes! There are hundreds of commercial tax preparers who are approved by the IRS and the Maryland Comptroller's Office to file your federal and Maryland tax returns electronically. Look for the e-file logo - and just ask! Find a qualified preparer near you or contact us at taxhelp@marylandtaxes.gov.

  13. I filed electronically several days ago and chose to have my refund deposited directly into my bank account, but I still haven't received my refund. What should I do?

    If you filed electronically through a professional tax preparer, contact your preparer to make sure that your return was transmitted to us. A refund can also be delayed due to math errors, missing entries, questions about estimated taxes that were reportedly paid or incorrect bank account numbers. For more information, see Refund Information and choose Direct Deposit.

  14. Can I pay by credit card?

    You can pay your Maryland tax with a credit card, using VISA, MasterCard, or Discover. This service applies to taxes owed for the current year or any back year (if you have a bill). You can make your payment online or over the phone.

  15. Do I need a signature when I file electronically?

    No. When you file electronically using online software, you use a PIN (Personal Identification Number) instead of a signature. The PIN you used to file your federal return electronically can be the same PIN you use to electronically file your Maryland return.

    If you use online software to file your Maryland return electronically, and you do not use the federal PIN, the software will generate Form EL101 (Maryland Income Tax Declaration for Electronic Filing) and advise you to sign the form and keep it with your records for three years, along with other applicable attachments. Some tax credits allowed on a Maryland electronic return require supporting documentation to be submitted with Form EL101.

    If you use a professional tax preparer, your preparer will complete your Form EL101 and have you sign it before your return can be transmitted electronically.

  16. Can I make partial payments if I owe additional tax?

    If you file electronically and pay by direct debit, you can make a partial payment. However, you must pay the final balance, using a check, money order or credit card. You cannot pay the final balance with another direct debit.

    If you file electronically by April 15, you have until April 30 to make the final payment by credit card. If you want to pay by check or money order, the payment is due by April 15, even if you file electronically.